Here are my top tips and tricks for making your cakes stall as hassle-free and lucrative as possible...
- People like old-fashioned cakes like lemon drizzle and orange cake - the kind of thing your Grandma might have for morning tea at home.
- People like big cakes.
- Learn to make glace icing. It looks delicious, goes hard and won't stick to the bags.
- Have some things that lend themselves to freezing, like banana bread. People want to support you and are often happy to buy a more cakes if they can freeze one.
- Matching white plates, cellophane bags (available on ebay) and ribbon make your stall look great, as do table clothes.
- Making one or two slices and cutting them up makes LOTS of plates to sell.
- Price up - people will pay more than you think but do be conscious of your area's demographic.
- Try to make all cakes a round dollar amount. It makes it easier to give change.
- Sell cupcakes individually but offer to package them if people want to buy a few.
- Have spare plates and bags.
- Have napkins on hand for individual cupcake sales.
- You need access to a gazebo. Believe me on this!
- Be friendly and excited about whatever you are raising money for.
- Tell your friends what you are doing - they might offer to help makes cakes, or they might be your first customer.
Have you run fundraising cake stalls? What are your top tips?