If you are anything like me you spend a lot of time looking forward to the weekend.
It's hard being at home with the kids all week and I really look forward to spending time with my husband and having another pair of hands to help.
So why do weekends so often fail to live up to my expectations? In fact, I often find them much harder and more annoying than the week.
I've given this some thought and I think the problems, in no particular order, are...
- I still have the work mentality that weekends are time off but somehow my kids missed the memo that the weekend should be a break for Mummy.
- My husband works all week so his idea of a nice relaxing weekend is to potter around at home. Staying at home all weekend is my idea of hell ... I've already been trapped there with my kids all week and I want to go out as a family.
- My husband plays soccer and needs to do work around our half renovated house. I think it's great that he plays sport and I obviously want him to work on our house, but both of these things mean that I get left by myself with the kids ... again.
- During the week the kids and I have a routine. We have activities that provide structure but those don't exist on the weekend and it makes me feel aimless.
- My subconscious associates the weekend with late nights followed by sleeping in and a slow walk up the road for a long brunch with friends. That time has passed but somehow I think that is still what I'm yearning for *sob*.
- Why, when both parents are there, is it still my job to pack the food, nappies, dummies etc etc etc?
- Kids who have day sleeps hold you back. There just aren't that many places for great outings if you have to be back in the car by noon. We used to have such brilliant times on outings with my stepsons and I think I forget that they were much older than my kids currently are.
Don't get me wrong, we do have lots of good times. As I type this my husband, stepson and son are working together on our boat, they are all having a great time and it is so cute to watch. It's just that the weekends aren't as great as I think they are going to be.
I'm sure that it will get better with time. Little kids are hard work and it's difficult to have an insanely awesome weekend when you are exhausted.
But, for now, the phrase TGIF just doesn't ring true for me at all. It's more like thank goodness it's Sunday afternoon and everything is going back to normal tomorrow!
How are the weekends in your family? Do they live up to your expectations?